Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Och No, Och No

Cleaning up and sorting through things can be a weary job, yet there is always a silver lining if you just look for it!  Today I found this little gem.   I don't know who wrote it.  I am sure she just saved it because it meant something special to her, I don't know if she identified with the piece or just liked it or had it sent to her by a cherised friend.  I will probably never know, but I can enjoy the item.  I also found  newspaper clippings that Dad had saved depicting the last WWII war bride arriving in the US (she was no longer young, but had loads of wrinkles and white hair).  I am sure Dad found that amusing as it took him a couple of years to get Mom over here after the war.  Anyway, back to the piece at hand.  I don't know who wrote it or from whence it came.  If you know who wrote it please comment!


"Listen Mary Ellen" says Jimmy to me,
"There's a dance tomorrow night, will ye go?"
But I'm shy in a way where the boys are concerned,
But says I to him, "Och no, Och no"

"But the tickets are bought", says Jimmy says he
"I have them in me pocket, so ye'd be to come now
For you couldn't let me down."
But I says to him, "Jimmy Och no, Och no"

The following night he called at the door
"Come on" says he, "Don't be slow"
"All the girls and the boys will be there."
But says I to him, "Jimmy Och no, Och no"

He's a terrible masterful kind of a soul
There was nothing else for it but to go.
When we got there says Jimmy "We'll show them a step"
But says I to him, "Och no, Och no."

He put his arm around me and swung me around
And boy did the saxaphones blow
"Lean your head on me shoulder", says Jimmy says he
But says I to him, "Jimmy Och no, Och no"

The night of the dance he was leavin' me home.
The moon in the sky hangin low.
"Kiss me goodnight now" says Jimmy says he.
But I says to him, " Jimmy, Och no, Och no."

"Well good-bye then", says Jimmy says he.
"I'll be off to the war, joining the army and so"
"I'd be to be off and you'll see me no more"
But I says to him, "Jimmy, Och no, Och no"

He puts his arms around me and gives me a hug.
I felt like he'd never let go.
"Will ye ever" says Jimmy, "marry somebody else?"
But I says to him, "Jimmy, Och no, Och no!"