Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Camping in Scotland

CAMP IN SCOTLAND

It was great to hear that we were to camp in the hills of Scotland.   This was a Life-saving holiday for me, so I didn't know any of the Guides.  We had beautiful weather, and the swimming was great!   One day we took a trip into the nearest   town.  They had a lovely new swimming pool, and the girls had a chance to do some diving from the springboard.   They all wanted me to do a dive from the "hell diver” a 33-foot springboard.  They all had to get out of the water, because no one is allowed in the water if I'm going into it.  The high dive is one of the tests for the AWARD of MERIT (my silver medallion), so I had done the dive many times.  Although it wasn't one of my favourite things to do.  Well, I climbed up the ladder and walked to the end of the springboard.  I was anxious not to do a "belly flopper" so when I made my dive,  I must have bent backwards too far, for I felt my back crack, and had a terrible pain in my spine.   I must have completed my dive all right, because when I surfaced, the girls were  cheering.  I instructed them that they could now come back into the water.   I had a hard time making my way to the side, and then sat on the steps until swimming time was over.  I was surprised to find that I could walk, but I had a lot of pain.   I passed no remark to anyone, and finished the holiday without telling anyone about my injury.  If I had told the Guide officers, it would have meant no more swimming for the  girls, for I would have had to go home.  Many years later I had an operation for a herniated slipped disc.