Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Friend Charlie Stewart

When I met Charlie I was 18 years old. I always spent New Years Even at the Gillespie’s house. I had been out with Charlie on New Years Eve, so I invited him to come to meet Mrs. Gillespie. The Gillespie's lived above their grocery store in Portadown. As we climbed the stairs to their sitting room, she called out did you bring a tall dark and handsome stranger with you? I called back 'Yes, but he’s blonde, not dark'.

Everyone cried out “Wait until someone else goes out and crosses the threshold first” We all had a good laugh- now we had good luck for the coming year.

One Sunday I was invited to Charlie’s house for dinner. He lived in Whitehouse, in County Antrim. At that time, my uncle Thomas (father’s brother in law) was in the hospital, he had both legs amputated- I was very fond of him and went to see him that Sunday. It was one of the hottest days we ever had.. I wore an outfit I had made myself. I’ll digress to tell you why I made this suit. When I became 18 years old and had been working for four years and thought I would like to keep myself. Mother was upset, and said “You don’t trust me to spend your money” In those days husbands and children gave their pay envelopes to the mother. Mother did very well by us. I remember we always got our clothes in the very best shops. We got a complete outfit every Easter and Christmas. I should have waited to tell mother about keeping myself until I got my Easter outfit. Well, that is why I had to make one – I didn’t have enough money saved to buy one. I could sew, so I got Pat Cherry (a girl friend) to help me cut it out. I couldn’t line it (mother had fits) I bought a blouse (cheaper than I was used to wearing) got a hat

– oh what a hat! It was black and had a very large brim. Suitable for someone older. I got some cheap black gloves and an umbrella.

To come back to my dinner date with Charlie’s mother –I met Charlie after seeing Uncle Thomas as I said it was a very hot day, and I was sweltering in the tweed suit. When we arrived at Charlie’s house, his mother took up straight into the dining room. I didn’t have a chance to freshen up, I still had my hat and gloves on and umbrella in my hand. I removed my gloves while at the table, and to my horror the dye from the gloves was all over my hands. I was so embarrassed. Mrs. Stewart must have thought that I was some weird person. I was never asked back. You can be sure that I saved my money the rest of the year, so that my Christmas outfit would be more suitable , and more to my parents standards