Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let Me Introduce Myself

My name is Edna and I was born at home on Chatsworth Street in Belfast in 1912. My parents told me that I interrupted tea time. The house I was born in was still there in 1989 but I don't believe it's there now. My parents and their families all came from Portadown.


I had one brother and a sister. My brother immigrated to Canada in 1927. It would be twenty long years before I was to see him again. Oh what a glorious reunion it was too!By that time I had immigrated to the States myself. I was a war bride and came over from Ireland to Louisiana 2 years after the war had ended, me and my young son Billy. I had been in the United States a few years and was suffering from homesickness and so my husband and myself and young child drove up to Canada to visit with my brother Edmund and his family. That trip did me a world of good!

I have a younger sister Amy who still lives in Northern Ireland. I have made several trips there to see her (I am too old at nearly 96 to travel anywhere now) and she has come here to see me as well. Our last visit was about 4 years ago, she stayed for weeks and we just talked and talked about the old times. It is so wonderful to be able to speak with someone about familiar things and happy times. My husband died last year and so I no longer have someone local to talk over old times and memories. Re-living old happy memories is about all I have left, my mind is still quick but my body is failing me.


Well that's enough for now.

1 comment:

Bayou Belle said...

I hear there is an Irish convention in New Orleans this weekend. Will you be attending?